Students interested in applying for the Frank D. Lucas Agricultural Policy Internship should follow the following steps:
- If AGEC 3703 or AGEC 4703 has not been completed, enroll in either course to be completed during the Spring 2010 semester.
- Develop a letter of interest and résumé for the internship position
- Secure a copy of your most recent transcript.
- Provide a written response of not more two type-written pages (12 point, double-spaced) to the following:
- Submit all application materials (letter, resume, transcript, and written response) to 103 Ag Hall before 5:00 p.m. on Monday, January 10, 2011. Candidates will be reviewed and the recipient will be notified.
In preparing for the next farm bill debate, Congressman Lucas, currently the Minority leader of the House Agricultural Committee, is interested in the effectiveness of the ACRE and SURE programs in protecting farmers from large variations infarm revenue. In addition, he is interested in understanding how consistent these two programs are with crop insurance. Currently farmers have the option to enroll in ACRE or the DCP program, and/or elect crop insurance and be eligible for the SURE program. Some in Congress want to eliminate the DCP program. Broad disagreement on the effectiveness of ACRE and SURE exists among the various national farm and commodity groups. What information will you be able to obtain and where will you obtain information that summarizes the positions of the various national and Oklahoma groups? How can you best use your education at OSU and/or life experiences to assist Congressman Lucas in his deliberations?